Photo By kurhan at Shutterstock
Blocked pipes, an overflowing toilet or a broken water heater are among the most common plumbing emergencies. However, this is no time for DIY. A DIY can go wrong, leading to extensive damage and costly re-work. You need a reputable, professional company you can rely on to resolve the issue as fast as possible.
However, with many plumbing companies available, finding the right company can seem like an impossible task.
Read on to learn what to look for in a plumbing company and some practices that damage your plumbing.
Characteristics of a Good Plumbing Company
Not all plumbing companies are good, so before endeavoring to contract one, it’s best to do some due diligence first. Below are some of the characteristics you should look out for before hiring a plumbing company:
Don’t just take their word for it. Confirm that they’re a reputable plumbing company. The easiest way to find out about a company’s reputation is:
- Ratings and reviews: Visit their website and check out their reviews from past clients. Reviews not only confirm past satisfied clients, but the comments on these reviews also provide insight into the kind of service you can expect.
- Ask around: Building contractors often work with contractors, and they can recommend reputable plumbing companies. You can also inquire from neighbors, friends or colleagues about plumbing companies they’ve contracted and obtained satisfactory services.
The plumbing service profession is closely regulated in the U.S. Journeyman and master plumber licensing requirements vary from state to state, so it’s best to familiarize yourself with your state’s requirements. In Florida, plumbing companies must have a statewide certified plumbing contractor license.
Again, don’t take their word for it. Ask to see it and then search for the license to verify it.
It’s also essential that the company is insured. While licensure assures you that the job is in capable hands, insurance ensures you don’t incur hefty losses when an accident occurs. Although it’s not a state requirement, it’s best to ascertain the company’s insurance for your peace of mind.
Most plumbing services are delicate by nature because sensitive plumbing systems are often involved. For this reason, experience is a necessary credential to consider before hiring any plumbing company. A simple way to find out if a company has experience is again through their reviews.
Besides how experienced a company is, it’s essential to consider the diversity of their plumbing experience. Plumbing comprises a variety of jobs ranging from blocked pipes to more complex sewer lines and water heaters, and the more diverse skills a company has, the more capable they are to handle all plumbing issues.
A plumbing company should be well equipped with all the machinery and tools for all plumbing jobs, ranging from everyday pliers and wrenches to the more sophisticated tools for more complex jobs.
Also, they should understand the mechanics of plumbing systems and the various technical and mechanical concepts so that they’re not only capable of completing a job successfully but can also troubleshoot and come up with reliable solutions to arising issues.
Safety should also be a priority, so ensure they have safety procedures in place to protect you and your property.
5. Modern Technology
Like every other business, technology has a huge impact on plumbing, and it’s always changing to enable enhanced efficiency and productivity.
A good plumbing company keeps abreast of the latest technology and trends available for fixing all plumbing issues.
6. Upfront Costing
A good plumbing company is always upfront about how much the job will cost. Ensure you get a written quote before any work commences and compare it with two or three other quotes. Also, request the company to list all materials required and check their prices against those of a store.
Be on the lookout for clauses requiring you to pay any additional expenses, such as extra materials used.
A plumbing emergency can strike without warning, and you need a plumbing company that’s available 24/7 to alleviate your stress and get rid of the mess.
It’s advisable to hire a local company so that they’re readily available when you need them.
Practices That Damage Your Plumbing
It’s interesting to note that certain practices cause or escalate plumbing problems. The following are some habits you should avoid to minimize plumbing issues:
- Regular use of drain cleaners: These liquids offer a quick fix to clogged drains, but it’s surprising the damage they cause. They contain harsh chemicals that cause cracks or dangerous chemical reactions in pipes.
- Flushing things down your toilet: Objects other than tissue will lead to clogs, obstructions and a visit from your plumber. Avoiding flushing objects such as paper towels and wipes down the toilet is the best thing to do to avoid clogging your toilet.
- DIY Plumbing Jobs: As mentioned earlier, plumbing jobs are delicate and complicated and best left to a professional to avoid mistakes that could cause more damage.
- Treating your garbage disposal like a trash can: Garbage disposals can’t handle all kinds of food scraps left in plates. Avoid pouring foodstuffs such as coffee grounds, rice or pasta down your sink. Also, pouring grease down your sink is detrimental to your sink, even though you run hot water. The fats congeal and form a layer inside your garbage disposal, eventually leading to blockage.
- Letting hair down the drain: Hair sticks to soap deposits in pipes, quickly forming huge clogs. Install drain baskets in the shower and bathroom sink to catch hair.
Contact the Plumbing Experts
Whatever plumbing service you require: gas leak detection repair, sewer line repair or replacement, hydro-jetting, water heating, waterline repair or replacement, valve and valve assemblies changes, pipework or tubing, bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of Fort Lauderdale serving Parkland, FL, is available 24/7. Our team of highly skilled professional plumbers is available around the clock to offer the best solutions to all your plumbing needs. Call us today for the best plumbing services available in Parkland, FL!